Friday, July 3, 2015

Wedding Crashers


Wedding Crashers is one of those movies that I've heard a lot bout but wasn't able to see it when it first came out. Since its come out, I've had opportunities to see this film, but never found much interest. Mainly because you've got Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughn. Now, these two actors are actually two very successful actors and I think both of them have good and bad movies. Both of them have also surprised me in the past with the choices of movies they've done and where their careers have gone. 

At the same time, I haven't been impressed with some of the movies that they've made and this seemed very much like just the same comedy they've done over and over. 

But I've been watching pretty much what has been on TV recently and this was on TV, I thought it was time to check out what this movie was all about. 

Wedding Crashers stars Vaughn and Wilson as Jeremy Grey and John Beckwith. These two friend
pass their time by going to random weddings they're not invited to, making a splash, and sleeping with as many women as they can.

These two are despicable. They're assholes. They prey on vulnerable women and then leave them high and dry when the party is over.

Honestly, its a funny set up. The movie sets up these two as two guys you can think are despicable but at the same time there is a level of humanity to them both.

Now I will say that their transition to unlikeable to heart of gold guys is a little bit random, but I do think the movie rides a fine line between hating these guys, and rooting for them.

But we'll get to that in a little bit.

So eventually, these two find themselves at the wedding of the daughter of the Secretary of the Treasury. They do their same plays and plan to seduce just like they always do, but this time its a little bit different.

Jeremy and John find themselves going after the sisters of the bride, Claire and Gloria (played by Rachel McAdams and Isla Fisher).

Now I have no idea what kind of genes Christopher Walken and Jane Seymour have to give them one blonde daughter (the bride) one brunette daughter AND a red haired daughter, two of which are Rachel McAdams and Isla Fisher... I think that's a little bit ridiculous, but holy smokes, I want those genes.

But anyway, John finds himself infatuated (like any normal human man) and is interested in pursuing her. At first it seems like he's just going for her because he wants to sleep with her, but eventually, its very clear that John is falling in love with her.

On the other side of things, Jeremy seems to be interested in pursuing Gloria as just another conquest.

Until he realizes that Gloria is batshit crazy. Like to a ridiculous level. I have to hand it to Isla Fisher,
I never thought I could see her as THAT crazy. But on top of that, she's also the most ridiculously sexy when she's that batshit crazy. As nuts as she is, I would take crazy Isla Fisher any day.

But this happens to work for John's advantage as Gloria invites them to stay at their country home after the wedding. John sees this as a great idea as he can get closer to Claire. However, Jeremy thinks this is a horrible idea as he is almost terrified of Gloria.

Obviously the two go to the lake house and they meet the entire family. There's Christopher Walken as the Secretary of the Treasury. I don't think anymore introduction is needed there, I mean its Christopher Walken. And then there's Jane Seymour as the oddly sex depraved wife who thinks that John is hitting on her. Then you've got the younger brother of the family (played by Keir O'Donnell) who is just an odd ball. Apparently he's gay, socially awkward, and wants to jump Jeremy's bones for some reason. There are a couple other odd ball characters, but I think one of the strangest performances in this movie is that of Bradley Cooper as Claire's boyfriend, Sack Lodge.

At first I couldn't really believe that that was Bradley Cooper. He just kind of comes out of nowhere. On top of that, he's young in this movie. (Youngish... he's like 30). This was one of Cooper's first big roles and its weird seeing him in a role like this.

On top of all of that, I mean look at that picture! He's like a Ken doll!

I mean Bradley Cooper is not the absolute best part of the film, but its just kind of a surprise seeing him there.

Like I said, the transition from seeing the main characters as despicable people, to guys with hearts of gold is really quick and kind of random. They basically do the whole, they might be bad, but there are worse people, like the people in this family.

There are also a lot of really random parts about this movie. The whole mother having a thing for John is really random and doesn't really go anywhere. Kind of the same with the brother situation. And then there's Isla Fisher kind of changing notes half way through, and their sudden desire to make Vince Vaughn more of a relatable character I guess near the end.

And then there was this...


Ha! Awesome.

Anyway, Wedding Crashers is a fun comedy and a little bit different. Is it the groundbreaking comedy everybody thinks it is? I don't really think so. It sure is fun though.

Overall, Wedding Crashers is a pretty fun movie. Yeah its a little random, yeah its a little crude, but it is a pretty fun time. I'll probably stop and watch it next time I see that its on, so whatever that is worth.

What do you think of Wedding Crashers? Do you like Vaughn and Wilson? Comment and Discuss below! You can also follow me on Twitter @cmhaugen24 to send me your thoughts on this movie and send me requests for others to review. You can also subscribe to get updates on movie news and reviews of the future.

I'll leave you with this. Like I said, I've liked certain aspects of Vaughn and Wilson's career. One of those aspects is Vaughn in the new season of True Detective. Here's him on Fallon with Collin Farrel. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment